Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Reaching out to kids . . . outside of church

One thing that I love doing is seeing kids outside of a church setting. To me it seems to help everyone relax. I also believe it helps show the kids that you really are the same in church and out of church, you’re a follower of Christ everywhere. Your faith is real. Which is a great example I think they need to see. Here are a two ways I’ve found to connect with kids outside of the typical church environment.

First, you could try to meet them at school. Now I know this is easier said than done in some places. I’ve been in a ministry situation where schools would let me come for FCA and that’s it. I’ve been in a school system that didn’t want me to come at all. I’ve also been in situations where I can come to lunch, morning devotions, and special events to help. Either way it is worth finding out what they will let you participate in. Schools are the biggest single place you can meet kids on their terms and share the message of Christ with them.

One way I get into the schools is at lunch. I have a “Lunch Box” at our church and allow kids to place a ticket in the Lunch Box. Once a week during school I draw a name and eat lunch with that child. Now before you go do this 1) call the schools for approval and 2) I check with the parent of the child I draw each week. But this allows me to meet our kids, bring them a cool dessert, and meet kids that don’t go to our church as well. It’s easily the biggest mission field I have in our community. You could also attend a student’s band recital or play as well. This of course will be after school hours but still shows them you care and you get to meet and connect with the family, not just the individual child.

Secondly, you could go to a child’s ball game. I’d be willing to say that almost all kids play in at least one rec league during their lifetime. You can quickly find out if a kid is playing a sport by just simply asking them. Afterwards talk to their parents and ask when their next game is and if they mind you coming to support the child. You can go support the child in your ministry and sit with their family to connect with them on a deeper level as well. After all, as a children’s minister, we should be partnering with the parents to aid in their child’s spiritual development. That involves getting to know them too, not just their kid. The child will also probably be thrilled their children’s pastor cared about them enough to come to a game.

These are just two ways you could connect with kids outside of church. I’d love to hear of some other ideas for meeting kids outside the church walls! Just post your ideas in the comments section below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment