Monday, October 27, 2014

Speaking Christ through your actions

Today as I was listening to a pastor I was reminded of the saying actions speak louder than words. Now I know this is going to upset you because you have studied for hours preparing the best children's sermon series possible. Perhaps you just came across the coolest object lesson or sermon illustration there is and know the kids will be extremely focused during your lesson time this week. While I hope this is true and that we all (me included) are digging into God's word in preparation for when we get to speak to the kids in our ministry, it is possible we are missing a key aspect to sharing the gospel of Christ. Our actions.

In Acts 20: 18-19 Paul is addressing the Ephesians stating, "When they arrived, he said to them: “You know how I lived the whole time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. I served the Lord with great humility and with tears and in the midst of severe testing by the plots of my Jewish opponents." Isn't it interesting that instead of pointing back to some the sermons or teachings Paul had spoke it was his actions that Paul referred to as a teaching point here?

What if instead of just interacting with the kids in our ministry we began to view it as a evangelistic or discipleship time? If there is one thing I know its kids maybe listening but they are definitely watching. This includes in how we treat others, if we are fair and honest, how we act in Walmart, or anywhere we go. The question is are they seeing Christ through your actions or are you harming the message of Christ? I pray they do in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment