Friday, June 20, 2014

A passion for kids

               From the moment I realized God was calling me into a vocational ministry, it was children’s ministry that He led me to. Of course I can confidently say this looking back into the past but I really do believe that children’s ministry has always been where I was supposed to be. During high school I got to intern with the children’s minister in my home church, and I worked for an after school day care (man that was fun). My wife, I am sure will tell you that now I’m just a kid trapped in an adult’s body. But what drives this passion for kids to come to know Christ?

                Of course the easy answer for me is God made me this way. Also early on in ministry and even today I’m aware that studies state a majority of people accept Christ before they are 13 years old. In 2004 Barna stated this number was around 50%.[1] Not that i'm saying any other area of ministry is unimportant. Both of these are some great reasons for me to be passionate about children’s ministry but that not the only reason.

                There are several passages that are my “favorite” or I feel extra drawn to in God's word. Isaiah 6, the story of Gideon and David are favorites of mine for instance. But so is the scripture found in Matthew 19:13-15 which reads, “Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.” And He laid His hands on them and departed from there”.

                In this passage we see an account of Jesus taking time out of his short stay here on earth, to especially spend with children. I’m not sure why but this scripture has always stuck with me. Often I find myself asking “If in this passage of scripture, Jesus found the children so important shouldn’t they be important to me?” Now don’t get me wrong as a minister you are a minister to everyone. Children is just where most of my time is spent. But it is also purposefully where my time is most spent because that is where God has placed a special passion in my life for. Maybe you find yourself with this passion as well? Maybe your just looking for some kid min ideas. Please continue to join me as we begin to walk through this together. Also let me know what drives your passion for children's ministry too.




[1] https://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/5-barna-update/196-evangelism-is-most-effective-among-kids#.U4T-rNFOVes

No comments:

Post a Comment